Thursday, March 15, 2007

Too silly...

What is the big deal?!?!

I just finished watching a romp 'em stomp 'em basketball game that had several highlights, numerous stellar plays and some outstanding teamwork. The complete routing of Stanford wasn't bad either. And what was the closing comment: "Rick Pitino returns to Lexington." What the .....?! Of all the things they could have focused on, the comentator chose that very minor, insignificant piece of trivia. WHY is this such a big deal?

I grew up in Lexington, and although I never had a desire to attend the University of Kentucky, I have always been a big Wildcat fan. Family dinners and holiday celebrations revolved around when the UK game was on, blue and white were the traditional colors of a baby's first onesie and the roads were usually deserted on Saturday afternoons. I moved to Louisville as a young adult and attended the University of Louisville for my bachelor's degree, cheering for the Cards unless they were playing UK. So I know all about the rivalry, and have friends and co-workers that are die-hard haters of each team (luckily I married a UK fan, but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker like some I know). UK had many good years with Pitino, but he moved on to coach the Boston Celtics in 1997. When Pitino came back to the area to coach Louisville, one would have thought the world had ended for many Wildcat fans. I thought Pitino was a great coach for UK, and I was even considered for a job with the Pitino family when they left for Boston, so I guess I liked him well enough, but I didn't boo-hoo when he left. Nor did I hate him when he came to Louisville. And even as a Widcat fan that FULLY SUPPORTS Tubby Smith, I don't feel like a traitor for saying that Pitino is probably the greatest college coach working right now, and I hope Louisville goes really far in this tournament.

Am I not normal? Am I supposed to have this hatred for all things red and black? Am I wrong for actually liking that Pitino is leading Louisville to a quality program? I am not a coach, player, or sportswriter, so maybe I am considered dumb about this, but I just don't get it. I am just a casual sports fan that likes to support those close to me and be proud of my local teams. There are so many interesting, inspiring stories that naturally come out of the NCAA tournament, that I hate to see some long ago drama brought up again. Hey, CBS--you are the only one talking about it.

Now if Clay Aiken starts coaching for UNC, maybe I will have to change my teams...

No comments: